Details + Finishes
Your kitchen is the heart of your home and a space you use every day. These blogs cover all the details that will make your kitchen both functional and beautiful – including the kitchen sink! You will find information on faucets, specialty gemstone tiles, modern range hoods, and the types of natural woods used in kitchen cabinets – including maple, cherry, birch, alder, and knotty alder.
Complete your dream kitchen by choosing the details and finishes that will make it uniquely yours.
If you’d like to see these options in person, come by our Palm Desert cabinet showroom. You can view hundreds of door styles and finishes, see designer boards with countertop and backsplash options and check out a door sample to take home.
- Ferguson Bath & Kitchen GalleryFerguson Bath & Kitchen Gallery Build with Ferguson – a Trusted Partner Cabinets of the Desert recently had the privilege of being invited to install cabinetry for a kitchen appliance display at the Ferguson Bath, Kitchen, and Lighting showroom at 72060 Highway 111 in Rancho Mirage. Ferguson is one of our trusted business partners. See our complete list of recommended local kitchen vendors. Local and Online, Kitchen Trends and Project Organizer For their display cabinetry, Ferguson’s chose two textured laminate finishes – one in a natural light wood finish and this medium grey with subtle variations. … Read more
- Cabinet Wood Species: MapleCabinet Wood Species: Maple What is Maple Wood? Sugar maple (Acer sacharrum)-the same tree that gives us pure maple syrup-is also used for furniture and cabinet making. It is sometimes called Hard or Black Maple. A dozen other species of maple, such as striped, silver, red, or bigleaf, are classified as “soft” maple and sometimes used in fine furniture making. The maple tree is native to the northern United States and parts of Canada. The Great Lakes area and Vermont produce most of the world’s furniture maple wood. What Are the Types of Maple Wood? … Read more
- Cabinet Wood Species: CherryCabinet Wood Species: Cherry Where Does Cherry Wood Come From? Cherry wood comes from the American Black Cherry Tree (Prunus serotina). It grows all along the east coast, midwest, and throughout parts of Mexico. The majority of the cherry wood used in furniture and cabinetmaking is grown in sustainably managed forests in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and upstate New York. The American Black Cherry tree produces a tiny, tart, clustered fruit that birds love. Sweet cherry trees (Prunus avium) produce the cherries that we buy for eating at the grocery store. What Are the Types of Cherry … Read more
- Clear Alder and Knotty AlderClear Alder and Knotty Alder What is Alder Wood? Alder is a fast-growing deciduous (annual leaf-shedding) tree and a member of the birch family. It thrives near rivers and streams from the Great Plains to the Western part of the U.S., Northern Europe, and parts of the Middle East and Eastern Africa. Alder trees are grown for their wood, medicine, decorative bark, and catkins. What Are the Types of Alder Wood? Clear Alder is a light hardwood with no knots, having a grain pattern similar to Cherry. Light brown and reddish undertones characterize it. It … Read more
- Natural Wood Kitchen CabinetsNatural wood kitchen cabinets offer several positives not found with other materials. Our modern kitchens use stainless steel and glossy finishes. The natural warmth, texture, and durability of wood provides the perfect visual contrast. Also, any well-built quality wood cabinet will last for decades. Plus, they can be stained to highlight the wood grain or painted to a smooth, lasting finish. Following is an overview of the available hardwood choices we have for your kitchen cabinets. Alder Alder wood is native to the Pacific Northwest and is characterized by a smooth, straight grain with some … Read more
- Wall LightingShining A Light on Bright Ideas for Walls As unique as the vast desert landscape’s hues and formations is a new generation of wall lighting that will shine a light on your clients’ distinctive residences. With studies revealing the connection between emotion and ambient brightness, the brighter the light, the more intense one’s emotions become. Both the intensity and the color of light affect people’s moods. Of course, the lighting in a home changes the mood of a room just as it does its perceived size, making it an important aspect of interior design with … Read more
- Contemporary BathroomsJust A Dream? Not These Trending Bathrooms. As pressures outside of our homes rise, the desire for more calming areas within our homes is becoming equally high. Among the leading spaces for refuge is, not surprisingly, dream baths. No longer a quick stop along the way to starting or ending hectic days, but today’s spa-like bathrooms blend high function with welcome relaxation for the ultimate luxury experience. One of the more illuminating aspects to contemporary bathrooms are Bluetooth mirrors that connect to smartphones and tablets with built-in lighting, speakers and defogging capabilities, surrounded by splashes … Read more
- Kohler Intelligent ToiletsYou’ll Want to Sit for This – A New Generation of Intelligent Toilets In step with the evolution of countless smart home amenities is a selection of sleek and extraordinary toilets. Yes, toilets. No longer for just the most elite of home owners, but more attainable and ergonomically designed for ultimate cleansing and comfort.Industry leader Kohler presents its latest line of intelligent, one-piece toilets ranging from $4,000 to over $10,000 in standard and comfort heights with sophisticated flushing technology, touchless features, LED lighting, automatic deodorization and more with minimalist style and unmatched cleansing. What was … Read more
- Modern Kitchens Range HoodsA Wide Range In Modern Kitchens Satisfying the weekend gourmet and farm-to-table connoisseurs is the wide range of hoods in today’s chef-friendly kitchens. Patterned as smart as they are eye-catching is a variety of select range hoods to accommodate any particular client and home style. Greasy bacon? Minimize smoke. Burnt on spills? Quick release filters offer easy maintenance, plus more. Whether cooking breakfast for two or entertaining 10, the Fotile W Pro EMG9030 range hood is designed with a self-adjusting, wing-style surround suction plate that automatically adjusts its height from 3.14” to 4.72” based on … Read more
- Trends in Kitchen SinksThe kitchen sink is the hardest worked feature in any kitchen. It needs to be functional and durable, while being at the same time a stylish addition to your kitchen design. Today’s sinks come in a wide variety shapes, sizes and materials and can include accessories such as cutting boards, utensil trays, drying racks and colanders. In the slideshow above you will see: 1. Twin sinks The primary sink is accompanied by a prep sink. This is by Kohler: http://www.us.kohler.com/us 2. Seamless Integrated Quartz Sink: Seamless Design Many quartz composite countertop manufacturers offer integrated kitchen … Read more
- High End Style for Mid Range KitchensThe heavy duty look, feel and style of a high end Wolf, Viking, Sub-Zero or Thermidor is now coming to mainstream, mid-level appliance brands. These include heavier style handles on the oven and refrigerator and larger knobs for the range. An example of this “Pro Style” look is to be found in Frigidaire’s Professional Collection. You can find it at this link: www.frigidaire.com/Collections/Professional-Collection/. The high end look has been popularized by its appearance on luxury home and cooking shows. Consumers were demanding it and the mid range manufacturers have stepped up to oblige. Meanwhile, somewhat … Read more
- Marrakesh Series by Arizona TileOur business partners, Arizona Tile, have introduced their new Marrakesh Series of tile. These 8″ x 8″ tiles look hand-painted and are offered in ceramic or porcelain, depending on the finish. They are available in grey and color mixes and glossy and matte finishes. Please go here (https://www.arizonatile.com/en/products/porcelain-and-ceramic/marrakesh) for much more. We found the Marrakesh Series at the latest NAHB Show in Las Vegas.
- Graff Luna Faucet – Award Winning DesignGraff won Interior Design Best of Year Award in the Bath section with its Luna faucet. It is available with wall mounted or deck mounted handles. The collection includes a shower column that mimics the curve of the faucet spout. It is available in polished chrome and Steelnox finger-print proof finishes. Visit Graff here (www.graff-faucets.com).
- Gemstone Tile at Dwell on DesignAs cabinet people we come across dozens of different types of tile and hundreds of different designs. Some are great, some not so. But at the Dwell on Design show we were totally blown away by Gemstone Tile LLC’s product. Their raw material is turquoise from the Kingman Mine in Arizona, which produces some 500 variations of this natural blue-green material. It becomes a beautiful handcrafted tile for the luxury – and deep pocketed – market. All orders are custom made for the individual client. Please visit their website here (http://www.gemstonetileworks.com).