Kitchen Design Elements
Want to learn more about the general principles behind good design? You can read about the golden ratio and the 60-30-10 rule here. Explore the options for good proportion and color use too.
Then dive into design information specific to designing a high-functioning, beautiful kitchen. For example, learn the difference between face-frame and frameless cabinets, the history behind classic shaker cabinets, the best kitchen layouts, and the latest trends in kitchen design.
Ready to take this information to the next level and design your dream kitchen? Come to our Palm Desert cabinet showroom for a free consultation with our friendly and knowledgeable staff.
- 2021 Kitchen Design TrendsAfter a year of spending more time than ever in our homes, many of us are ready to give our surroundings a refresh and improve functionality. A renewed interest in cooking and baking, extended periods of studying, or working from home have all highlighted the necessity for dedicated spaces for family members. In fact, according to the 2021 U.S. Houzz Kitchen Trends Study, 2020 was the first year that saw a reverse of the trend towards open-plan kitchens by nearly 10%. If you are… Read More »2021 Kitchen Design Trends
- 2 Useful Kitchen LayoutsIn our New Galley Kitchen post, we talked about new modern galley kitchen layouts. In modern homes, these two parallel rows of cabinets open up to the family and dining areas. A century ago, kitchens were relegated to a service area at the back of the house. Today we use our kitchens as a primary room for entertaining, fully integrating them into our living areas. As a result, the L-shaped kitchen has become one of the most popular kitchen layouts. It edged out the… Read More »2 Useful Kitchen Layouts
- Spring 2020 Design TrendsWhat are the Spring 2020 design trends to watch? Whether you are considering a full kitchen remodel or looking for a fresh look, take inspiration from this round-up. The Dark Side Opt for deep, dark units and contrast with brighter shades elsewhere to add depth and character to the space. Often overlooked as purely an accent color, black cabinetry and work surfaces are having something of a moment. Black cabinetry balanced with white countertops, flooring, and backsplash – plus gray accents are both on-trend… Read More »Spring 2020 Design Trends
- Classic Shaker CabinetryDefining Classic Shaker Cabinetry People often gravitate to Shaker cabinetry for their kitchen remodels because the style is simple and timeless. The most popular color for Shaker cabinets is white. But there are many finish types available. This cabinet style can work in a traditional, transitional, or contemporary kitchen. How did Shaker Cabinets come to be the very definition of a kitchen cabinet classic? The History of Shaker Cabinets This enduring furniture style originated from a religious movement. The movement began in the 1770s… Read More »Classic Shaker Cabinetry
- Kitchen Design – The 60-30-10 RuleA Simple Kitchen Design Rule Have you ever walked into a kitchen and it just felt right, but you couldn’t put your finger on exactly why? Chances are that proportion was a key factor. The kitchen designer paid careful attention to balancing needed function with the colors used and the scale of the kitchen cabinets and other fittings. A simple but powerful design rule that can help achieve this balance is called the 60-30-10 rule. It can easily be applied to color choice and… Read More »Kitchen Design – The 60-30-10 Rule
- New Kitchen and Bath Design IdeasThe Best Bet in Vegas Cabinets of the Desert attended last month’s 2020 Kitchen & Bath Industry Show (KBIS) held in Las Vegas, NV. There were some remarkable new home technology and artisanal kitchen design products that will appeal to the most selective home renovator. We are sharing a few of our favorites. Stop by our showroom in Palm Desert to hear more about the products.We are also offering a new product line of finely crafted handles from Belwith Keeler. The Well Designed Kitchen Sink First… Read More »New Kitchen and Bath Design Ideas
- Trending Kitchen Design ElementsYour Short List of TrendingKitchen Design Elements Have an eye on design? Chances are that as a leading general contractor, you’re focused on construction plans, sustainable materials and bottom line costs. As a proven partner in what’s trending in kitchen designs, here is a short list of popular kitchen design elements that will add value for your clients, when envisioning their complete kitchen remodel. Creative, concealed storage. Pewter and gunmetal hardware. Upper metal, wood or glass open shelving. Natural stone, vintage inspired lighting and… Read More »Trending Kitchen Design Elements
- Italian Kitchen CabinetryItaly Opens Its Doors Many of us know, firsthand, about the unrivaled food and wine that’s synonymous with Italy. Its art and history are also among the most notable in the world. Yet, how much do you recognize Italian kitchen cabinetry? Join Cabinets of the Desert’s Ed Pedalino and his wife, Barbara, on their first trip to Florence and the Tuscany Region. They’ll share moments from their memorable stay at the Hotel Rapallo, the exceptional wine bars and gourmet food [envision grilled octopus and… Read More »Italian Kitchen Cabinetry
- Designs on Your Bottom LineWe Have Designs on Your Bottom Line Is your workflow steady, but your bottom line diminishing? You’re not alone. Contributing to this trend is more than one key issue. Changing technologies that extend the life of select materials coupled with today’s more open design preferences are resulting in longer lasting home features and reduced finished wall space that can impact your profitability. Seeing reduced installs of drywall or baseboards? With consumers benefiting from more durable materials, such as in roofing, and choosing multifunctional great… Read More »Designs on Your Bottom Line
- Retired Living and Universal DesignThe Next Generation of Retired Living Designs We can’t escape it. None of us. What, you ask? Aging. Despite being in better physical condition than prior generations, the inevitable changes occur led by mobility and vision challenges. Concurrent with this obvious claim is the notable increase in those choosing to “age in place,” by sharing their homes with grown children or their own mentally or physically declining parents. Safety and comfort, plus Universal Design are key to best serving your aging clients. Bathrooms are… Read More »Retired Living and Universal Design
- Style Meets SubstanceBecoming as aesthetically pleasing as they are functional, modern kitchen and bathroom cabinets are evolving with distinctive style and substance. Of course, with space and storage leading the way in purpose, contemporary cabinet designs are more artfully blended with such present-day designs as contemporary, mid-century modern, transitional and traditional elements. Not your grandmother’s cabinetry, quality and competitively priced cabinets now appeal to “lighter and brighter” inside and out, and complement statement furnishings with a variety of rich finishes and unique accents. Glass door inserts… Read More »Style Meets Substance
- What’s on Your Kitchen Wishlist?Dreaming of a new kitchen? There is no time like the present to start a wish list of ” can’t live withouts” for your future kitchen project. Cabinets of the Desert has an idea or two about what homeowners want in a kitchen and can help you make the kitchen of your dreams a reality. Here are a few kitchen features to take into consideration when planning your ultimate kitchen: A Large Island: When entertaining at home most guests gather in the kitchen- especially… Read More »What’s on Your Kitchen Wishlist?
- Choosing Great Kitchen CabinetsThe Importance of Choosing Great Kitchen Cabinets Any contractor, real estate agent, or home buyer or seller knows that the added value in a home is found in the kitchen and bathroom spaces. Kitchens are a focal point of any home and for every dollar spent three times the value is added. Kitchen cabinets are the foundation of style and quality in the space, and they also serve to set the tone for the quality that can be found on the rest of the… Read More »Choosing Great Kitchen Cabinets
- Faceframe vs Frameless CabinetsFace Frame vs. Frameless Cabinets – What is the Difference and Should I Care? There are two industry-standard ways of building cabinets: Face Frame and Frameless. Frameless cabinet construction has been the industry standard in Europe for many decades. Frameless kitchen cabinets were initially developed to meet the need for durable and customizable cabinetry during the home building surge in European countries that followed WWII. Face Frame construction is more traditional in North American kitchen cabinet manufacturing.What do we mean by Face Frame construction?… Read More »Faceframe vs Frameless Cabinets
- Introducing Bellmont CabinetsCabinets of the Desert is now a dealer for Bellmont Cabinets. We are working with both their 1600 Series and 1900 Series. There are six things we really like about Bellmont. In no special order, these are: They pay close attention to what is new and trending in cabinets design and finishes. Their quality is high. They work exclusively in Euro-style frameless cabinets, which is what our Desert clientele typically wants. Their 2 lines round out the continuum of price points that we are… Read More »Introducing Bellmont Cabinets