How to Choose the Perfect White Kitchen Cabinets
As you plan your kitchen remodel, you may be wondering, “Are white kitchen cabinets a good idea?” In the ever-changing world of kitchen design, white cabinetry is a classic choice. It is both neutral and versatile.
Whether your taste is for a sleek modern look, modern farmhouse, or traditional style, white cabinetry effortlessly adapts, transcending trends. In this blog, we’ll help you decide if white kitchen cabinets are the right choice for your home. You will learn how to incorporate them into your kitchen design and tips for keeping them looking their best.
The Benefits of White Kitchen Cabinets
The recent 2023 Houzz Trends Study showed that white is still homeowners’ most popular cabinet color choice. In fact, 40% of kitchen remodelers choose white. So, let’s look at the three main reasons to choose white kitchen cabinets:
- Enduring Appeal: White and light neutral cabinetry will benefit the resale value of your home, according to realtor.com, and transcends trends.
- Practical Magic: white reflects light around a room, making a small kitchen look bigger, and any size kitchen feel clean and spacious.
- Versatile Neutral: White kitchen cabinetry is also the perfect choice for large areas that are costly to replace. With white cabinets as your base, you can add design interest by changing knobs, fabrics, or small appliances.
Design Ideas for White Cabinets
White kitchen cabinets are incredibly versatile in kitchen design. For example, if you want a modern look for your kitchen, pair white cabinets with stainless steel appliances and sleek countertops like our example here. Alternatively, if you want a traditional look, add detailing and molding to your cabinets and pair them with white subway tile and marble countertops.
Pair white cabinets with unfinished wood flooring or open shelving for a more rustic look. Or, if you’re looking for an eclectic feel, mix up different cabinet styles, such as shaker and slatted doors. You can combine colors, such as white, gray, or black. We love the white cabinetry with a natural wood island combination.
To add color to your kitchen, consider painting the walls a bright hue or adding a colorful backsplash. You can also add a pop of color with accessories such as colorful dish towels, rugs, small appliances, and artwork.
Additional Considerations When Choosing White Kitchen Cabinets
When choosing white kitchen cabinets, there are additional factors to consider:
- Other Kitchen Materials: Consider the color of your walls, flooring, appliances, and countertops as part of your kitchen design. Different color palettes and combinations work well with white cabinets. Classic combinations include black and white, navy blue and white, natural and white, or gray and white. We have a selection of Designer Color Boards on our site and in our showroom to get you started choosing these materials.
- Hardware and Lighting: Proper lighting and accessories can enhance the look of white kitchen cabinets. On-trend combinations include white cabinetry with black hardware or white cabinetry with burnished brass hardware.
- Finishes: White cabinets come in different finishes, including painted, stained, and glazed finishes. You can also choose from a glossy, neutral, or matte topcoat. Our showroom advisors and kitchen designers can help you select the finish that suits your style and preferences.
Which Shade of White is Best for Kitchen Cabinets?
We’ve talked about cabinet styles- European/Modern, Transitional, Traditional/Rustic – but now let’s talk about color – which white is the best for kitchen cabinets? We have found that the main thing you want to pay attention to is the undertone of the white you choose.
We can divide these undertones into warm or cool palettes for our purposes. Which color white you choose depends on whether your other room materials have a warm or a cooler cast. Warm undertones will show up as very slightly peachy or yellow. Cool colors will look slightly blue.
White can also be found on a spectrum from pure white to off-white colors like cream, ecru, and light sand. (Tip – want to know where the white you like is on this spectrum? Hold up a piece of white copier paper to your sample).
When you come in to begin your kitchen cabinet shopping, you can bring any flooring, countertop, and backsplash samples you have with you. We can walk you through identifying these undertones at our showroom. We also recommend taking cabinet door samples home. That way, you can see how your choices will look in the room light in your home.
Maintenance Tips for Keeping Your White Kitchen Cabinets Looking Great
You may have concerns that white kitchen cabinets will show more dirt and stains. However, modern cabinet finishes only require a small amount of extra care to keep them looking their best.
Some suggestions-always use soft cloths and gentle cleansers when cleaning your cabinets, as harsh chemicals can damage the finish. Additionally, avoid directly exposing your cabinets to steam and heat, which can cause discoloration over time.
Avoid placing food items directly on or in your cabinets, as this can cause grease stains that can be difficult to remove. Instead, use shelf liners, trays, and placemats to protect your cabinets from spills and crumbs. Also, check your hinges and cabinet hardware for minor tightening or adjustment yearly.
Wrap-Up: Choosing White Kitchen Cabinets
Installing white kitchen cabinets can be an excellent choice for homeowners. They provide a timeless look that is easy to update with different hardware or accessories. Additionally, white cabinets can help make a small kitchen appear larger due to their bright and airy feel. If you are looking for further inspiration, see this recent transitional design utilizing white cabinets throughout the house in our recent projects.
Considering all the factors discussed above, we can help you make an informed decision on whether white kitchen cabinets are right for your home. With proper installation and maintenance, white kitchen cabinets can create a beautiful look lasting for years. Feel free to contact us to schedule a time to visit our showroom and check out your white cabinet options.